Home page
History
Prayer times
Membership & fundraising

Contacts

Synagogue:
99 Walford Road
London N16 8EF
020 7249 1599
Email
Map & directions

Secretary:
Mr Simon Raymond
020 7249 1599

Chairman:
Ike Albert
07850 369000
ike@albertandson.co.uk

Walford Road Synagogue

Y

History

According to the foundation stone in the synagogue (dated 1939), the synagogue was founded in 1912 and opened by H Yager in 1920. It was rebuilt and opened by S Landes in 1931. The chairman of the building committee was L Sherwin and the secretary was M Sklar.

According to an old Deed dated 20 November 1920 the buildings on the site were, by a Lease dated 20 November 1865, temporarily used as a place of divine worship or introductory chapel but were intended thereafter to be used as a lecture hall for public meetings and a Sunday school. By the Deed dated 20 November 1920 James William Garwood transferred the lease to Solomon Polinsky, James Rothenberg, Hyman Feather, Benjamin Tobin, Joseph Herzberg and Phillip Polinsky for £750. Thus it was probably at this time that the building would have been first used as a synagogue. The formal conversion probably took place in 1931.

On 13 July 1922 Herbert Henry Walford conveyed the freehold interest in the building to the said Solomon Polinsky, James Rothenberg, Hyman Feather, Benjamin Tobin, Joseph Herzberg and Phillip Polinsky for £255. In the Conveyance, there is a restrictive covenant that the premises will be used at all times as and for the purpose of a Jewish synagogue and for no other purpose whatsoever.

Y

Go to top of page